Thursday, December 8, 2011

OOTD 12/8/2011-Spot On

Unfortunately, my style has not always been "spot on".  Recently, we've been poring through old pictures in order to create a senior page for my son's yearbook.  So often, I seemed to say, "What was I thinking?!"  Color-blocked parachute-material sweatsuits, high waisted jeans and the-like.  How could I have missed the mark so greatly?  Here are a few lessons I've learned over the years....

1.  Just because everybody's doing it, doesn't mean I should. 
Style in an individual "thing"....our bodies, as well as, our comfort levels are different. So, what looks super cute on someone else may not necessarily work for me.  Case in point, J Crew's minnies.  Oh, how I want to like them on me. (I've tried them literally three or four times)  But, everytime its the same result in the mirror...a big 'ole "I don't think so!" 
Lesson learned:  It's better to make a choice that works for me, rather than one that works for a friend.   

2.  Trust your instincts
Generally, I know immediately if I feel cuteness radiating from a particular outfit. 
Lesson learned:  If I have to question a look, it's probably not working. 

3.  It's best to stick with the classics
I can go back to J Crew looks from 2005 and they're still relevant today. 
Lesson learned:  It's best to stick with classic pieces, so twenty years later I'm not looking back saying, "Holey Moley, What was I thinking?"

Hopefully, the next time I walk down memory lane, I'll have more hits than misses!



J Crew Factory Striped Perfect Shirt in Blue - Size S
J Crew Spotted Cat Cardigan in Chocolate - Size S
J Crew Double-Serge Wool Pencil Skirt - Size 6
J Crew Factory Pearl Twisted Hammock Necklace
J Crew Acorn Fireball Bracelet
J Crew Patent Mary Jane Pumps in Black

6 comments:

  1. i agree with you,everybody is different and what looks good on somebody else might not look good on me.
    i learned so much through reading all the fabulous blogs(like yours) and i finallly found my style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you with the instincts. If I look in the mirror more than 5 mins of what I'm wearing that day, that means something is not quite working. I usually end up changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina...I agree. I have gotten so much great inspiration and fashion information from the wonderful blog world.

    Small Town Gal...Yep, if its good, it's good. You shouldn't have to work at it. Besides, if you're not comfortable with an outfit, it will come through in your confidence. (I've been there. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally love the whole skinnies with sporty heeled ankle boots look but even though my mind is saying "yes", I have to reside myself with knowing my body is saying "heck no, lady." I don't look good in skinnies, I don't know why I keep trying ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with ya, Lisa. I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say I've tried those minnies at least 3 or 4 times. Isn't that the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very polished! Me likey :)

    I went thru the same thin w/the regular chinos. Attempting to duplicate some of the catalog looks. They're just not me, so I finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete